Automatic continuous plant Molinova Serie Oro (Gold Series) represents today the top product of the Pieralisi range. Designed for batch processing, it is completely automated and able to run also in continuous.
Passion, tradition and innovation. These have been the core values of the Pieralisi Group since 1888, when its first workshop opened in the small town of Monsano. Today, the Pieralisi Group is the world leader in providing state of the art separation solutions using centrifugal force.
Pieralisi systems deliver optimal performance -both for continuous cycle and batch processing -enhancing, on one hand, the quality of the oil, which is even richer in polyphenols and, on the other, making it possible to harness the full potential of the by-products so they can be another source of income for the oil mill.
With Pieralisi Group’s long-standing experience in the industry, it is the only one of its kind able to supply its customers, all over the world, with a turn-key product for the entire olive processing cycle: from leaf removal to washing, to crushing and malaxing, followed by extraction and separation.
The Pieralisi Group continuously invests in innovation. It has filed hundreds of international patent applications (25 are currently active), which embody and demonstrate its commitment to the research and development of new technologies.
Safety and assurance play an increasingly important role in a world where mechanical engineering is becoming increasingly complex.
This is why Pieralisi, UNI EN ISO 9001 and UNI EN ISO 14001 certified, takes great care in the design and manufacture of its machinery in accordance with quality assurance and safety standards to ensure compliance with key directives such as the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/ UE, the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive 2014/30/UE and the ATEX Directive 2014/34/UE.
The control panels, designed in accordance with strict quality and safety standards, are custom built in order to meet the specific requirements of each stage of the production process.
Oil mill operations are facilitated by the highly intuitive devices and the correlation between the panel and system which is simple and easy to understand, focusing in particular on the safety indicators. Pieralisi's advanced control systems can be linked to other machinery at the oil mill to create an extensive digital network and are also set up for remote communication, if desired. Pieralisi issues CE certification pertaining to the entire oil milling system during installation which is further proof of the attention it pays to the needs of the oil miller and its company.
High quality olive oil starts with clean and healthy olives. The modern harvesting systems used today speed up operations, but they also increase the amount of twigs, leaves, soil and other impurities in the crates of olives brought to the mill. This can be detrimental to the wholesomeness and the organoleptic characteristics of the oil, and also cause damage or early wear to machinery.
The Pieralisi Group has designed a unique solution to ensure maximum cleanliness while keeping the drupe in perfect condition. The wide range of twig and leaf removers are capable of cleaning olives whilst minimising impacts and the resulting damage caused by violent blows. Pieralisi also stands out from its competitors in terms of the care and attention it devotes to the washing process. What makes its washing machines unique is the air system which keeps the olives suspended in the water at all times so that they get clean and there is no risk of crushing. All parts in contact with the product are made of stainless steel to ensure durability, reliability and hygiene.
Leaf and twig removal:
• The olive leaf and twig remover are designed and built to prevent, when the olives are passing through the machine, them from any impact and contact
with the metal parts, thereby also preventing oil dispersion.
• Maximum yield: the leaf remover also prevents losses in terms of oil in the subsequent washing stage thanks to special Pieralisi devices.
• Any olives attached to twigs are recovered.
• The leaf remover is completely automatic, operates non-stop (with no type of interruption) and seamlessly feeds Pieralisi washing machines.
• Low water and energy consumption.
• Uniform washing of the olives thanks to the continuous stream of air that keeps the olives suspended in the water. This prevents the olives - washed one by one - from coming into contact with the metal parts. This protects the grating of the crusher and extends its life.
• Easy removal of solid sediments (stones and branches) thanks to the automatic tipping system of the washing tank.
• Easy-to-clean washing machine: the wash water in the tank is drained using a quick acting foot pedal control to open a large valve. The water drains out in no time at all.
• The final washing cycle of the olives is done using clarified water so as to eliminate any type of contamination from foreign matter. The shower system has special nozzles fitted on the one-of-a-kind inclined slat conveyor.
• The special slope of the belt reduces the quantity of water present in the olives to a minimum, thus enhancing the quality of the oil in the subsequent stage of pressing/crushing.
• Minimum consumption of remaining water thanks to the sloped design of the tank.
• Low water and energy consumption.
The crushing and malaxing processes are the starting point of the most delicate phases in the olive oil production process.
The quality of the oil, how the flavours develop, and the oil extraction yield depend on the type of crushing and the subsequent malaxing phase.
The olives must be properly crushed in order to:
• facilitate the extraction of oil and important minor compounds;
• break the kernels into appropriately sized fragments to ensure more effective malaxing and more efficient centrifugal extraction;
• minimise oxidation of the paste (reduced peroxide).
The design and quality construction of Pieralisi crushers ensure seamless processing, keep temperatures down and they are able to adapt to the different types of olives. Unlike other crushers, usually equipped with a fixed grid, Pieralisi crushers
are also equipped with a unique counter-rotating grid. The outwardly flaring holes of this grid facilitate expulsion, reducing the number of peroxides in the oil caused by the pulp rubbing against the metal, and also decrease wear of the parts. The shape of the hammer and grid ensure uniform particle size and that the olive kernels are crushed into sharp slivers, which is extremely important for the subsequent phase of malaxation.
Pieralisi crushers are available with a single grid (2800 rpm) or double grid (1400 rpm) to suit the different olive cultivars or the different requirements of the producer and, in doing so, manipulate the bitter and spicy tones of the olive produced. The bar grid is a preferred solution as it increases crushing capacity by 30% and reduces energy consumption.
All parts coming into contact with the olive and paste are made of stainless steel and are feed into the machine via a screw elevator which, thanks to the troncoconical shape, allows the olives to move smoothly without piling up.
There is no doubt that Pieralisi hammer crushers are the best solution for millers who want to get the best quality and highest yields of olive oil.
• Capable of varying the sensory attributes of the oil by enhancing some organoleptic and aromatic characteristics. The various crushers are equipped with inverters used to change the rpm of the main motor and consequently the hammer/blades impeller.
• Maximum yield with minimum energy consumption.
• Seamless processing ensured by the quality design and construction which keeps the temperature down and is suitable for different types of olives.
• Using Pieralisi technology, the crusher is equipped with a control system that ensures maximum crusher performance with no need to worry about pesky blockages or lost time to fix the issue.
• Practically noise-free due to its sturdy design, precision in construction and special external soundproof coating solution.
• All parts coming into contact with the olive and paste are made of stainless steel.
All Pieralisi crushers are equipped with a counter rotating grid which, bygenerating a centrifugal force, facilitate the outflow of the pulp. The grid also features outwardly flaring holes designed to reduce paste friction and increase the durability of the grid.
Pulp is pushed out of crushers that do not have these features only through the pushing action of the hammers. This increases the peroxide value caused by the friction created in the paste and causes the grids to wear out quicker.
The hammers, equipped with interchangeable plates made of hardened metal, and the contour of the perforated grid ensure that the oil pockets break perfectly and that the kernels are crushed in a uniform manner.
The malaxation phase completes the development process of flavours and the organoleptic properties of olive oil started in the crushing phase. Malaxing involves slowly stirring the paste while it is thermal conditioning which causes the microscopic oil and water drops to coalesce, forming increasingly larger drops. The shape, volume and size of the paddles and the number of revolutions are key factors in obtaining the maximum yield and quality.
Pieralisi malaxing systems are composed of independent malaxer unit, suitable for both batch processing and industrial processing, designed to operate at different temperatures and speeds.
The optimum diameter of the Pieralisi malaxing tanks ensure top performance in heat exchange, reducing the possibility of the formation of emulsions. Larger volumes may reduce the efficiency of the heat exchange and require a longer malaxing time for the paste to achieve the optimal temperature. This can result in a loss in output of the process and a deterioration in the quality of the oil due to fermentation which may give it a winey taste and cause the very important values of alkyl esters to rise. The particular geometry of the paddles, the different diameter of the two blades and the angle of rotation make it possible to mix the paste thoroughly.
The rotation speed is set to prevent emulsion. The fully independent units are made of stainless steel, and have double walls for hot water circulation. Each unit is equipped with probes to check the minimum/ maximum level and temperature of the paste and also feature an automatically operated butterfly for draining them. Each unit has a washing system that operates on demand or at the end of processing each batch of olives. Pieralisi malaxing units are second to none. As a matter of fact, they are built according to the highest standards in terms of efficiency and effectiveness, ensuring the absolute lowest malaxing times and dramatically improve the quality of the oil. The Pieralisi Group produces tanks for 600 ÷ 2000 litres to meet all needs: from small batches to industrial-sized quantities. The top-of-the-line models allow the traceability of all parameters of the batch being processed.
• Maximum energy efficiency and reduced malaxing times thanks to the optimum diameter.
• No wastage since the paste is fed into the tank by means of a three-way valve.
• The modular design of the malaxer makes it possible to add even just one unit based on the miller’s requirements.
• Control of process parameters via an electronic control panel with a computerised touch screen.
• Processing can be done in each tank at different temperatures.
• Special automatic washing systems to ensure that each batch is not contaminated by the previous batch.
• The tanks are equipped with an electronic flow meter which measures the water added in three-phase processing and the draining process after each batch. A special device stops the pump if there is not enough water.
Molinova Oro malaxing system, designed for batch processing, are completely automated and are also able to operate in continuous mode. The malaxer units are made of stainless steel and have a double wall for hot water circulation. Each one has an inspection dome, made of shatter-proof, non-fogging glass, equipped with a safety lock system and a new LED lighting device for easy inside inspection.
Each malaxing tank, devised to operate at different temperatures, is equipped with a stainless steel automatic butterfly valve for discharging paste and with min/max level and temperature sensors.
Each malaxer has a timed washing system that operates on demand or at the end of processing each batch of olives.
• More flexibility in the arrangement of the malaxer unit; customers, on the basis of their needs, can add even just one unit.
• Each malaxer has its own motor, so the oil miller can run just one and leave any others off.
• The insulated malaxers with independent heating, controlled directly by the temperature probe in contact with the paste, help save energy and lead to a higher yield and quality of oil.
• Thanks to the independent nature of each malaxer unit, the oil mill operator can run the washing system for each unit and blades as necessary, thereby improving the quality of the oil.
Each malaxing tank is equipped with a standard rear washing door.
When it comes to extraction, yield is a key factor in the final result. Pieralisi Group stands out for its long-standing success in this area. The ancient method of pressing by means of crushing gave way to the modern centrifuge-based system of extraction with the subsequent introduction of Decanters. These were, in fact, created to ensure that the oil is excellent in terms of yield, throughput and organoleptic quality.
A few years ago, after in-depth studies and meticulous designs, Pieralisi introduced DMF extraction technology, one of the company’s greatest accomplishments, as well as a cutting edge technological solution for the extraction of olive oil.
One advantage of this system is, since there is no need to add water when processing the olive drupes, the efficiency of the yield which remains stable even with unusually large productions.
This technology, which uses a two-phase system, produces a dehydrated pomace similar to that from a three-phase system which recovers the pulp from the pomace, called “pâté” (i.e. olive paste). In addition to the multiphase innovative technology, Pieralisi has a new range of centrifugal extractors for two and three phase processing which offer:
• high yields
• the need to add only a small amount of water for three-phase processing
• reversibility in two/three phase processing.
• Pieralisi extractors are all designed to maximise the oil yield which, as a matter of fact, is a key element.
• Electronic control of the bowl speed (rpm) and differential speed of the scroll via the new oil mill control panels.
• All of the parts subject to wear, such as the scroll, product inlet distributor and the pomace discharge bushes are coated with wear protection.
• The scroll in Pieralisi decanters are more durable for olive washing operations and have a unique rake on the back which greatly increases its durability. DMF technology
• Produces a dehydrated pomace similar to what comes out of a three-phase system.
• This technology has the advantages of processing without adding water (two-phase) plus the versatility of a decanter able to operate in either continuous or batch processing mode.
• This makes it possible to recover a certain quantity of pomace - called “pâté” - made up of wet pulp without any traces of kernels directly inside the bowl.
This pâté is ideal for various uses (e.g. soil conditioner, animal feed supplements, a possible ingredient for human consumption, mixed with other biomass for biogas production), thereby turning a by-product to be disposed of into added value for the miller.
Separation is the last stage of the oil production process, the residual water and solids must be thoroughly separated from the oil coming from the decanter. These residues must also be removed quickly to maintain the high quality of the product.
By now highly specialised in the field of centrifuges, Pieralisi has put its know-how to work in creating a wide range of separators, adding to its long list of success stories in technology.
Pieralisi separators are able to meet any needs. Using the best materials and the correct production process ensure trouble-free operation and long machine life.
Pieralisi separation systems are also engineered to operate without adding water and to ensure thorough cleaning of the machinery thanks to the patented Mr Cip washing system.